For some singer Andra Day exploded over night, but the 30-year-old will quickly tell you that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Equal parts cool and uniquely refreshing, the California beauty has accomplished what many artists only dream about, her debut album Cheers To The Fall has been nominated for a Grammy nomination, make that two (Best R&B Performance for Rise Up and Best R&B Album).
So how does the vocal powerhouse go from singing in a Malibu strip mall to being discovered by Stevie Wonder’s wife to appearing in Vogue, performing at the 89th Annual Macy’s Day Parade, going on tour with Lenny Kravitiz and then appearing in Apple Music’s holiday commercial?
We’ll let her tell you better.
She talks to Black America Web exclusively about her inspiration, sense of style and her journey to Music’s Biggest Night. Watch below.
Double Take: Celebrities We Think Are Secretly Related
1. Zendaya and Chanel Iman1 of 13
2. Keisha Epps and Brandy2 of 13
3. Denyce Lawton and Moniece Slaughter3 of 13
4. The Game and Jidenna4 of 13
5. Jada Pinkett Smith, Nicole Ari Parker, Deborah Cox5 of 13
6. Kym Whitley and Jackee Harry6 of 13
7. Teyana Taylor and Audra Day7 of 13
8. Jordin Sparks and America Ferrera8 of 13
9. DMX and Billy Brown9 of 13
10. Sheree Fletcher (Will Smith's ex wife) and Ciara10 of 13
11. Angela Bassett and Keke Palmer11 of 13
12. Sevyn Streeter and Kelly Rowland12 of 13
13. Devon Fraknklin and Trai Byers13 of 13
(Photo Source: Andra Day Instagram)